Candidalias

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Terms of Endearment

For those of you who are married (and female): Have you ever noticed that the things you find most endearing in your husband when you are in a good mood are the things that make you the most frustrated when you are in a bad mood?

Blame it on PMS if you like, but I can’t, because I’m not… Some days I just find myself wanting to throw things and I don’t really know why. It’s just nit picky little things and I’m in a MOOD so it makes me mad. I wish I could find the off switch to that mood… I don’t like it.

It’s the same way with the kids. Yesterday that was cute, today it’s annoying! As I tell Welly as she sings the same song over and over and over, “Honey, that song was interesting the first 10 times, BUT IT’S GETTING A LITTLE OLD!!!!” or Bowey when he’s been hogging the bathroom, “THAT IS NOT YOUR PRIVATE OFFICE!!!” or Neeps “Didn’t I tell you to do that 45 MINUTES AGO!!” or DoBug “DON’T ARGUE WITH ME! JUST DO IT!!!”

For the children, I prayed when they were toddlers that I would stop screaming at them, and God in His goodness brought me out of that TERRIBLE habit. That doesn’t mean I don’t raise my voice (with all the radio’s going on around here I have to yell), but it isn’t rage directed at THEM anymore.

For Himself, I often ask the Lord what I’m doing to add stress or irritation to the situation. And God has faithfully pointed out my faults to me repeatedly, and yet gently. I am also a great believer in PRAY AND DUCK. You don’t have to hit your husband with a frying pan to get his attention and make him change. Let God hit him with the frying pan. He has better aim.

Pray for your husband. Pray that God will change him into the godly man that HE wants him to be. Pray that God will open his eyes to his own faults. And then DUCK! Get out of the way! Don’t pray and nag. Or pray and whine. Or pray and push. Or pray and manipulate. DUCK. Because when you pray for God to hit your man with a frying pan, you don’t want your head in the way!

And by the way, be ready. When your man gets hit, there are a lot of changes going to happen. Not rapidly, but steadily. And more than likely you are going to have to change too.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Mrs. Loquacious said…

    I can *totally* identify. With Hubbs, I oft do the nag-cry-pray where first I nag (my bad!), then if he gets defensive I cry, and then I pray and usually the frying pan comes outta nowhere and schmucks him in the head. Then he comes back and apologizes for his bad, which caused my nagging in the first place.

    Not the healthiest cycle, but seems to have worked thus far. *shrug*

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Blogger Wynn said…

    oh, sister, trust me, it gets so much better if we can skip the first two steps and go straight to the prayer. I've even met ladies who have the courage to look their husbands in the eye and announce, "alright, but I'll be praying for you!" to which poor husband stomps away KNOWING he's doomed!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home