Candidalias

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Humor

I am Irish. And I have been told that I have a twisted sense of humor. I never really thought so until I got married to a very practical Scottish man. He rarely laughed at the things that I thought were hilarious. But over the years I have corrupted his sense of humor, and I can now get Himself to at least chuckle over the things that put me in tears of laughter for hours. I even try to explain why things are funny to me, but he doesn’t often get it. He just says, “Honey, you’re cracked…”. But God in His goodness blessed me with a son with MY sense of humor. So we have these ongoing giggling conversations, where we are both laughing so much that we can hardly speak. And Himself just shakes his head, we’re both cracked…

Now I’m not trying to say that Himself doesn’t have a sense of humor. His just tends to run along the Dry British Humor type. He likes the sly stuff that sneaks up on you and occasionally the slapstick stuff. The other day I brought home a Bruce Li movie (not to be mistaken with Bruce Lee, which I mistook it for) and the kids watched in stunned silence to the voice over and slap sticks not quite believing what we were subjecting ourselves to. Himself just laughed at the ridiculousness of how serious the actors were trying to be. That is his kind of humor, and I appreciate it. I appreciate Any kind of humor. Well, almost any kind of humor. Not the blasphemous or disgusting kind. I don’t really appreciate potty humor either, but with a household of teens what can I do?

I also tend towards the “giving voice to animals” type of humor, because I have a glorious mix of humorous and expressive faced animals. I have a pouty faced boxer who just doesn’t understand why the cats get to go in and out whenever they want. She wants to play with anyone anytime and doesn’t know which is better, snacks or people. A sad faced Labrador mix with the drool of a mastiff, who does anything for a belly rub, or people food. A “developmentally disabled” calico cat who can’t win a fight with a stalk of grass, but brings home a breakfast offering every day. She’s ugly and loud and forgets half of everything she ever experiences, it took her till late July to remember that mice are fun to catch, which explained the extreme lack of rodential gifts till late July. A very passionate black cat who is definitely a descendant of a Siamese. She gets so desperate for someone to touch her that she snuggles up to the lab for a bath, eeeewww! A gray lump who allows any child to do what they want with him, even dressing him up and carrying him upside down. And a new long hair with an eye infection that loves discomfort… play with him like he’s a dog, let him sleep on rocks and concrete and he is happy. It seems some days like they are all trying to tell me something, and so I give voice to their angst. Which is one of the things that Himself finds the most amusing . “How can you be so sure that is what they feel?” he laughs. And I say , “Just look at their faces.” and he laughs some more….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home