Candidalias

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Raising Teens~ Passing the Baton

Ah the joys of teens! I love having them, I love being around them, and especially I LOVE embarrassing them!

I am, however, a little too self respecting to get the extreme joys of teen embarrassment. My husband has that down! It all starts with shorts, sandals, and tie dye socks...("papa! please, oh please, don't wear the socks!!!")

I am simply a proponent of embarrassing little tricks, for instance, my eldest daughter (14 3/4) has inherited my chronic giggle... if I "tee hee" at her, she will break out in uncontrolable giggles. So I walk nonchalantly by and "tee hee" in her ear.

I have four teens... ok, so one is almost 12, but she really wants to be 18! ages you ask? 15 3/4, 14 3/4, 13 and almost 12... boy/girl/boy/girl...

girls are much easier to tease than boys, boys take creativity and timing while girls are embarrassed before you embarrass them... and so I find more satisfaction in getting the guys (poor guys), but more opportunity for the girls (poor girls).

I think my best for the guys was when I told my 13 year old that the kissing was done in the midst of a passionate kiss on t.v.(he always hides his eyes... the 15 year old peeks and denies the peeking! the 12 year old giggles, and the 14 year old says "oh my goodness!")I think we paused the kisses for the rest of the movie...

I am not, however, a proponent of painful embarrassing. I don't mess with friendships, crushes, or hateful body functions (among others that are on some mental list somewhere but I can't think of them all right now).

I just want my kids to be able to laugh at themselves and relax about life a little. And so I have to be ready for the embarrassing moments they get me with (don't give if you can't take) like my son not wearing underwear to a doctors appointment ("I couldn't find any...")

I have to admit though, I don't take it nearly as well as I give it... I need more practice, not that I really want it, I mean after all, didn't I have a mother who embarrassed me terribly? We can start with going to the grocery store in bathrobe and curlers all the way to boogying down the aisle at K-Mart cause she liked the song!

And so I pass the baton to the next generation. May they learn the joys of gentle teasing and have lots of laughter in their lives!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home